Thursday, August 9, 2012

Lunch with the Boss (Culinary Quest 08.12.11)

Lunch with the Boss

I've been debating whether or not I wanted to blog this; I have no pics, and wasn't really impressed. But I consulted the Facebook peoples and the one person who responded (Thank you Mama Unit) said it must be so. And here we go.

My department at work typically which typically runs on 6 people has been running on 3-4 for the last two months now. As one of those 3-4 (for one memorable week 2) people I've been putting in a good bit of overtime. Since my job qualifies as sedentary to light level occupation I'm not so much physically tired as my brain turns to pudding. Funny what 10 hour days will do to your mind, isn't it? Two weeks ago the boss decided to take the three of us to lunch, we just had to pick where.

Personally I usually bring leftovers from home or eat in the cafeteria... On rare occasions when I have cash I'll hike over to the No Fish! Go Fish! cart or down to the food cart pod, but those occasions are very rare indeed. So I bowed out of the lunch location selection. Amusingly enough one of my co-workers had just that morning been complaining that she "always had to pick the restaurant" when she went out with her family. So with malicious glee we all cried "Not it!" in unison and left her with the choice... Muahahahahaha!

Okay, enough with the glee. The day arrived and a location was announced. Jake's Grill. Never heard of it before, but supposedly they have "Great Seafood!" So I googled it. Found the location (10 blocks from work, awesome.) and perused the menu. Some nice looking stuff, some expensive stuff, but still... Not too bad, and I wasn't buying. And away we went.

Very elegant and quite fancy I must say. The waitress was knowledgeable and quick. The menu looked nice. The place was neither empty or crowded and the accoustics were such that we didn't have to yell to hear each other. We went around the table and the orders went like this:
"I'll have the chicken fettuccini" No seafood, but okay.
"I'll have the french dip." What?
"Ooh, that sounds good, I'll have that too." What!? What about the "Great Seafood!" they talked about earlier?


I decided to have some fish, the Tuesday blueplate special in fact. "Herb Horseradish Crusted Atlantic Salmon with summer vegetable medley and roasted red peper risotto cake." Sounds good right? Mmmm horseradish crusted...

I got a salad with my lunch and requested the house made roquefort dressing on the side. Very, very tasty with a nice horseradish kick of its own. When my entree came I was excited, it looked so pretty, bright vegetables, lovely crust on the salmon, pretty sauce decoration... The rissotto cake threw me off a bit, but I've never been a fan of cubes of rice. Reminds me of Chinese takeout fried rice that's been in the box too long.

I picked up my fork, flaked into the salmon, tried a bite... And almost cried. The crust was soggy and flavorless. The fish was nice, but it was just salmon. I couldn't taste any herbs let alone any horseradish... I longed for at least a lemon wedge to brighten things up a bit. It went downhill from there. The summer vegetable medley consisted of a quartered orange carrot, a sliced on the bias yellow carrot, half of an asparagus stalk, and maybe three bell pepper slices all either cooked to mush or still crunchy raw. The rissotto was overdone and oddly sweet from the pepper. All together the best part of my meal was the salad that came before hand. The fish was nicely cooked at least, just... Flavorless.

All together kind of a let down. Which makes me sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment