Friday, August 10, 2012

Apocalypse.Mom on Location

Hello one and all. 
    Once again I have been traveling.  Traveling is rough for someone like myself who is culinarily challenged because of medical conditions.  So my 18 year old daughter and I drove from Portland, Oregon to Ferdinand, Idaho for my sisters wedding.  My daughter will hereafter be known as the Vicious Muffin.  

   We left Friday morning and I don't think we stopped for a "real" meal until we got to Lapwai, Idaho.  This town is nestled in the Nez Perce Reservation.  We stopped about 6 in the evening to this cute little diner called Donald's.  Vicious ordered chicken strips and fries and I ordered a chicken sandwich no mayo and a green salad.  I forgot to ask if it was breaded, it was.  There was a cook and a waitress for the whole place which probably seated 50?  There was maybe 10 people in there.  If the waitress was not taking a phone order she was trying to take and get orders out.  She forgot our drinks because she was so busy.  She needed more help.  Once we did get our food I ate the salad.  It was the usual iceberg fare.  I took one bite of the sandwich and realized I could not eat it as was.  The batter was like a tempura that was a bit overdone.  Not burned, just to much batter for the chicken.  I paid for the food and left a small tip.  Vicious and I have decided to no longer eat at restaurants with men's names.

    One thing I will say for Donald's is they are good to their regulars.  There was a gentleman who came in the same time as us.  Definitely a regular.  An elderly Native American man.  She treated him like family.  She knew his order, helped him to a seat with his walker and made sure he could eat his food.  This exchange saved my image of Donald's.  I don't think its a bad place, it just needs a bigger staff.  

   Saturday morning we found a great little place.  Very supportive of its local sports teams.  I will tell you all about that next time.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment