Thursday, August 20, 2015

The wagon wheel salad experiment.

Back in June I put together a celebratory camping trip for my parents' 25th wedding anniversary. While it wasn't wildly attended, those who were able to make it made for a very good trip and a lot of quality catching up. The Sleeping Dragon Clan has drifted a bit (as much as people can drift with the wonders of Facebook in the world) and needed a chance to reconnect.

My sister, AM, and her partner put together an incredibly tasty pasta salad for the picnic that kind of stuck in my head. I was getting cravings for it and nothing ready made in the grocery store even came close. So I asked for the recipe and this is what I got;
"There isnt really a recipe. 
Its mayo a little mustard garlic powder onion 
powder I use garlic pepper. Salami red 
peppers and frozen peas."

Plus pasta of course. So I went to work and it is still a work in progress. I'm not terribly used to using garlic powder and it has a stronger flavor than granulated garlic or fresh garlic. Let's just say that those I've served it to so far are rather safe from vampires. But it's always tasty and I am getting better at my ratios. 

Of course I rarely actually measure things so the measurements are guesstimates, go with your own instincts and taste buds. 
**It should be mentioned that this recipe is best made the night before you intend to serve it. Plan ahead lovelies, it's well worth it. I promise.**
Assembled ingredients for my second attempt.

Wagon Wheel Salad
  •  2 cups cooked and cooled pasta. (I like to use wagon wheels, because I like the visuals and the texture)
Dressing (Again, these measurements are an estimate and you should trust your own instrincts and tastes to guide you.)
  • 3/4 - 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 heaping Tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 1/2 heaping Tablespoons onion powder
  • 2 Tablespoons stone ground mustard 
Goodies (Can be really anything that appeals to you and your guests)
  • 1/4 lb deli salami, cubed
  • 1 can medium olives, quartered
  • 1 Roma tomato diced
  • 1 jar marinated artichoke hearts, sliced into bite size pieces.
Put salted pasta water on to boil and begin your prep work. 
When the water comes to a boil add in your pasta and good to just al dente, once the pasta is cooked drain immediately and rinse in cold water until the pasta is cool to the touch.
While your water is boiling and pasta is cooking, mix your dressing and prep your goodies.

Mix the garlic powder, onion powder, and mustard into the mayonnaise in a medium to large mixing bowl and set aside. 
Dice your tomato, salami, artichokes, and quarter your olives. Add everything into the mixing bowl with the dressing.
Once the pasta is cooled and drained, add it to the sauce and goodies mix and gently fold everything together. 
Transfer your salad to food safe storage container and let sit in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours (preferably overnight) so the flavors can come together. 
Before serving, let the salad come back to room temperature for optimum flavor. About an hour on the counter should do it. 
Salad all blended together and ready for its sleep in the fridge.
As you can see I took a slight left turn from the original recipe, and now that I've looked at it again I do believe that the next rendition will involve those peas from the original. And maybe not the artichokes, perhaps some home canned dilly beans or pickled veggies. I love that vinegary spike of brightness. 

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Leave them below darlings. 
~Sleepy Ginger

No comments:

Post a Comment