Saturday, August 8, 2015

Burrito Bowls for the cilantro haters

I hate cilantro. Hate it, hate it, hate it! It tastes like soap to me and completely throws off my dining groove. While I do my best to pick it out there is inevitably one sneaky leaf that lingers behind to spoil my bite and leave me making faces like an infant having their first lemon.

But I'm not alone in this situation, it all comes down to genetics. For more of the science behind the issue I shall direct you to the wonder that is SciShow. Always a treat.

Back to the issue at hand. Burrito Bowls, lots of fun but that super tasty rice base is typically cilantro lime...  So clearly for the best outcome I was looking at a make at home dinner. Always cheaper than take out. I consulted the Facebook hive mind and concluded that the most likely substitute for the loathesome cilantro would be green onion, and why not add some garlic for kicks.

What follows isn't an exact recipe, since I prefer to cook by feel (aka didn't bother measuring). Combine to taste and based on what feels right to you. I BELIEVE IN YOU!

Garlic, Green Onion, and Lime Rice
2 cups white rice
3 1/2 cups chicken stock/ broth (Could be done with water but... Why intentionally skip out on a flavor possibility?)
*Zest of one lime (approximately 1 Tablespoon)
*Juice of one lime (approximately 1/2 cup)
1 heaping tablespoon of minced garlic
*- lime juice and zest could be replaced with 1-2 Tablespoons of TrueLime powder which is purely crystalized lime and a staple in the Sleeping Dragon pantry.

Combine all ingredients in the basin of your rice cooker and let 'er rip! Delicious aromas will soon flood your kitchen and power you through the rest of your dinner prep. Burrito bowls are fun, but a good deal of prep work involved.
DICED ALL THE THINGS! Spurred on by the scent of cooking rice. Talk about inspiration.
Burrito Bowl in all its beautiful completeness. You can't really see the rice in this pic under all of the other tasty layers of goodness, but it's there and it's vital. Believe me.

Tasty trails my darlings! ~SleepyGinger

No comments:

Post a Comment