Saturday, June 15, 2013

Original Steer Meat Market (a return by GingerNinjer)

Dinner tonight is brought to you by slacker-dom yesterday. Crockpot roast chicken, seasoned with garlic and onion, cavity stuffed with sliced bacon ends. Served with rice and a little garlic Maggi seasoning, steamed broccoli on the side. Tasty. Hint of bacon reminds me of Mama. She loves bacon.

Rest of the meat is deboned and cooling. Carcass and guts are back in Crockpot... Stocking it up.

From one chicken (3.5 pounds for the curious) I am getting dinner tonight, a small casserole which will be at least 3 meals, AND two small pots of soup (one with tomato, one without) that will likely be another 6 meals. Stretching the chicken is key.(Does it sound like I'm bragging? That's not the intention... I'm just over sharing to make up for the lack of photos.)

I've been really quiet for a very long time and I have to apologize for that. But I'm facing a giant upswing in free time and will be using blogging, cooking, and crafting to keep the depression at bay during the job-hunt. Must have hobbies right?

But what does all of this have to do with the Original Steer Meat Market? I can explain. The Original Steer Meat Market is a block and a half from my front door. And I love it. I love to walk in and talk to the butchers behind the counter, some more knowledgeable than others. One younger man and I got into a debate about whether lamb and pork come from the same animal. Lamb. And pork. Yeah.

But I like the selection, I like the quality and I like that they don't give me a hard time about my wrapping requests. I'm a single female cooking for myself. In the fight against overfilling my refrigerator with leftovers I ask for the meat to be packed in half pound packages. And they don't even blink. In fact one girl (who's name I can't remember) and I chatted for a while about cooking for one and the wonder that is a Crockpot. Such a savior for the working stiff.

Also the place smells incredible (the do their own in house smoked meats), all of their pork products come from Carlton Family Farms a local homegrown source. Gotta feel good about that.

So, other than the lack of photos... Not bad for a return right?

What's on your menus?

~Ginger Ninjer

1 comment:

  1. I like this place. If we have to get meat that is not available from zaycon, like our stew meat I get it there.

    ReplyDelete